Friday 27 July 2012

A Catastrophe of minor importance


Every weekend while the Super 15 rugby competition was on I take stock of the entries.   A pattern has been established and I know which of the competitors are early to respond and who are inclined to procrastinate and wait until the last minute.   Among the early members to respond I can count JP, Barry, Stephen and Damien.  At the other end of the scale I have to contend with Meghan, Steven and Sonja.  The rest of the group is difficult to forecast because they vary submitting their predictions from early to late or mostly halfway through the week.  I do whatever I can to keep the members on their toe by submitting my own predictions as soon as the fixtures for the next week have been sent out.  During the week I may give little snippets of information of the upcoming matches.  On top of that I make up the results of the Super 15 competition and distribute this as soon as all the scheduled matches have been played.  This is all done to maintain interest and getting all members keyed up to improve their positions on the log.  This should, I hoped, make it unnecessary for me to “run” after them to collect outstanding scores.

An interesting piece of information that came to the fore in this rugby competition is that you do not have to be a rugby genius to do well in this competition.     My wife is the living proof of that.   She won the sub-competition of the highest score of the last 18 scores of all the matches.  I thought I had a chance to slip in.  But no hope, the middle positions were taken by the “unskilled” members and they even improved their positions.   I compared our results with that of Australian Footie  which runs a similar completion and based on averages we performed as well or even better.

1 comment:

  1. In all,the time we have been running the tipping competition, knowledge of the game has proved to be more of a hindrance than a help.

    ReplyDelete